Thursday, May 14, 2009

Book Review ~ Skin Hunger

Skin Hunger (A Resurrection of Magic, Book 1) Skin Hunger by Kathleen Duey


My review


rating: 2 of 5 stars
This was an odd book.



Skin Hunger is the story of two people, Sadima a young woman in search of love and acceptance for herself and the magical gift she holds secret, and Hahp, a teenage boy who has been sent to the wizard academy against his will. Interestingly, Sadima's story is told in third person and Hahp's story is told in first person, alternating by chapter. Furthermore, Sadima's story happens several generations before Hahp's.



All of that I can live with. For me, the approach was unique and fresh. I didn't have a problem with it.



What I did have a problem with was ... why should I care?



I found this story to be entirely too much telling and not nearly enough feeling, showing, living and breathing of each character's story.



And what was worse, the story barely got anywhere and then completely left me hanging without any resolution at all. I understand it is a trilogy, nevertheless there was NO resolution. I can't recall a novel where that has happened before. Usually at least some part of the story comes to completion, but in Skin Hunger that's just not so.



I honestly can't say that I could recommend this book to anyone. I will likely read the next book when it comes out, and then, perhaps, I might recommend the two together. But at the moment, I'd say, don't waste your time with this book.


View all my reviews.