Thursday, February 23, 2006

Whose Opinion is this Anyway??

I have a confession to make. I'm not sure I know how to form my own opinion about current political topics. I listen to talk radio, read the paper/online news sources, and yet I feel myself buffetted by each wave of new or differing opinion.

How do I find my OWN, very own, opinion? How do I know what I believe? Is it okay to 100% feel one way today only to do a complete 180 tomorrow?

I consider myself a fairly intelligent person. No, I'm not SMART, but I do okay. I can read, grasp information, and in most things I can form my own opinion from the information I've taken in.

But when it comes to political stuff I'm hot and cold and just kind find my middle ground.

Perhaps it's information overload. Maybe in an attempt to get the whole story, I read and listen too much and then the whole thing gets jumbled together.

But I feel the need to listen and read to lots of different sources because I just don't think there is one news source I can trust these days. I think if I put them all together, then maybe I can find my own way. But so far, I'm only finding more confusion and disillusion.

Makes me want to make up my mind, put my hands over my ears and proceed with a litany of "Lalalala I can't hear you!".

Please tell me I'm not the only educated woman out there who has a hard time finding that nugget of truth to hang on to in today's news?