Sunday, April 20, 2008

Awesome Movies :)

This weekend we were way spoiled and went to see TWO movies! I know, whatta life.

Friday was Charlie Day and Charlie wanted to celebrate by going to see Nim's Island. First of all, Charlie is a half-birthday type thing we celebrate with the boys because they deserve a day that's all about them, don't you think? I mean, would you like forever hearing "Happy Birthday" sung to you with someone else's name attached to it? This way, they get a day that's just about them. Individually. They don't get gifts, but they do get to choose a special activity we can do together as a family (no friends or parties, this is strictly a family thing) and I bake a cake - so that we can sing "Happy Charlie (Xander) Day," of course.



Anywho. I wasn't too keen on seeing Nim's Island, but I love movies so was agreeable. I thought it was about a girl who lives on her own private island in her imagination. But it turns out I was very wrong. I loved the creative devices the movie used, loved the characters and characterization, the scenery, the humor, the dialog - everything. It was a wonderful movie! A true family movie with fun, adventure, love and a neat message about courage and following your dreams. Awesome movie - I highly recommend it!

Then on Saturday night the boys went to their first-ever sleepover! Well, what were we to do with a whole evening and night alone together without any babysitter expenses? Especially when the place we dropped them off at was in Daybreak so there's that great entertainment complex virtually right across the street. So of course, we had to go out for dinner and then we thought 'what the heck' and caught a movie too.

We saw The Forbidden Kingdom. We had wanted to see this because we love martial arts movies, especially Jet Li and Jackie Chan (I mean, come on, who doesn't?) But holy cow, what an amazing movie. We got so much more from it than we had ever hoped. Both David and I already want to go back and see it (and we never want to see movies in the theater twice) and we want to take the boys to see it too. It was a wonderful movie, with amazing fight sequences and a great moral. Again, two thumbs up for me! Check it out ...