Thursday, January 15, 2009

Thoughtful Thursday ~ Find Your Weakness

“I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them” (Ether 12:27).

Have you ever considered that your greatest weakness, could actually become your greatest strength?

Close your eyes for a moment and think about your weaknesses. How could they become your strengths? Do you believe it’s possible for them to become your strengths? What do you believe might need to happen in order for that to be so?

For me, I think at this moment in my life, my greatest weakness is my lack of faith in myself. I have been doing a bang-up job of beating myself up for the last several months. I am too fat. I am not smart enough. I am not a good friend. I am not a good writer. I am not a good photographer. I have no willpower. I am not … anything very good at all.

I do believe that all these things could become my strengths.

I could believe in myself. If I were not too fat (or didn’t think that I was) I might have more courage to speak up and meet new people; I might play with my children more.

If I knew I was smart enough, I might be able to enroll in that Masters program I’ve been looking at and go out in the world helping others.

If I were a good friend, I would never hesitate to call or visit someone who came to my mind, because I would feel I was worthy of being their friend.

If I knew I was a good writer, I might actually finish something and keep submitting it to editors and agents until it found a home.

If I believed I was a good photographer, I might not have given up my business and I might have a source of extra income and the opportunity to meet and serve new people.

If I had the willpower to do all these things I could be strong. I could be powerful.

When Joseph Smith was in Liberty Jail, the Lord counseled him:

“All these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.

“And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes” (D&C 121:7–8).

Because my lack of self-esteem, is my foe. It is the adversary I battle every day. It is the exact opposite of the nature I was meant to develop here on earth. I do not believe that God sent me here to be weak, and hide my light under a bushel, so to speak.

He sent me here to shine.

God tries us in this life, He challenges us. But if we endure it well, and learn to make our weaknesses our strengths, we will be “prepared to receive the glory that I have for them” (D&C 136:31).

But I don’t believe that the glory He has for us is meant to be enjoyed solely in the Courts on High. If we can overcome our weaknesses in this life, glory can be ours today, here and now.

Don’t ignore your weakness. Make your weakness into your strength.

What are your weaknesses? How can you make them your strengths? And what would it mean to you, if your weakness did become your strength?

You are welcome to comment here, but please feel free to share your thoughts on your own blog and put your info into Mr. Linky here, so I can link directly to your blog.