Thursday, January 22, 2009

Thoughtful Thursday ~ What Do You Value?

What do you value most?

Is it money? Recognition? Family? Love?

Hyrum W. Smith, author of What Matters Most—The Power of Living Your Values said, “Your governing values are the foundation of personal fulfillment.”

In other words, those things you most value will define the sort of person you are, what you do and what you say.

You might assume that because you value something that it governs your daily actions, but that is not always the case.

The loving, doting father is arrested for sexually abusing his daughter’s friend. He lived a good life in every other respect. He did was what right for his family . . . except in this one thing. But it is a contradictory thing that has the power to take down everything he otherwise believes in.

Or, in a more benign example, the loving mother who has just counseled her daughter to remember the value she has a human being and not just as a sexual object, takes a pill to help her keep her spirits up, even though none has been prescribed.

It is elemental that we discover for ourselves what it is that we value. Find it, focus on it, and work at it.

“And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand” (Matthew 12:25.)

I had always taken this scripture in a more literal context. But in considering it today, I realize that Jesus knows our very thoughts. We cannot act one way while our thoughts dictate another. It won’t be long before we crumble under the weight of such confliction.

Figure out the sort of person you need to be to reach your values. Then be that person at home, at work; with your friends and with your family.

Let your actions stand for what you believe, for the values you hold dear.

For me, I value family. I want to be with my family forever. If I’m to take to heart Matthew’s counsel, then I will recognize that there can be no room for being snarky to my children, being weary of them, or cussing at them. I will devote my care and attention to those things that will work for the good of the family and to the building up of the little spirits, and the big ones, that encapsulate it.

I need to live as a woman who is part of a family.

I value love. I want to feel loved, give love, be loved. I can’t then turn off my heart when it’s least convenient for me. When a friend needs me, or a child, or my spouse, I can’t save for later what needs to be given now. My love needs to be free and ready; available at a moment’s notice.

I need to live as a woman who is love.

I would love to hear what your values are, and how you perceive them when wearing the different hats you wear.

You are free to post your comment here, but I also invite you to post your own thoughts on this subject at your own blog. If you do, let Mr. Linky here know, so we can all go see what you’ve written.