Sunday, June 08, 2008

Adventures in Cooking

I am so not a cook.

That being said, I think I would like to be able to cook. I can cook like my mom did, which is ultimate comfort food to me, but easy, easy. I like easy. If I'm going to learn how to cook something other than burger 'n beans or hamburger hash (thanks Mom!) I need it to be easy. Also, umm, GOOD is a plus too.

So, I've been trying some new things, new flavors and such and thought I'd post the recipes I find that earn my two thumbs up.

Warm Scallop Caesar Salad
(2 servings, recipe created by Kalyn)

8 large sea scallops
about 4 cups washed romaine
1-2 tsp. olive oil
1-2 T water (for larger pan, use 2T)
3 T Caesar Salad dressing (Kalyn uses Cardini's Caesar)
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice

Use a heavy pan which heats evenly. Pans that aren't non-stick will give the best browning, and be sure to choose a pan where scallops can be cooked in a single layer. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat about 30 seconds, then add scallops and cook quickly, probably not more than 2 minutes per side. Don't have the heat too high or the scallops will release moisture and won't brown properly.

While scallops cook, assemble lettuce on two serving plates. Place four scallops on top of lettuce on each plate. Turn pan to high and put water in, then scrape the bottom of the pan to get any browned bits, keeping heat high to let some of the water evaporate. After about 1 minute, turn off heat. Stir in salad dressing and lemon juice and let it get slightly warm in the hot pan, then pour over salad and serve. Top with fresh ground black pepper if desired.

*ali's notes*
  • I couldn't afford the sea scallops at Costco, so I used grilled chicken strips. I chopped them into bite sized pieces, and then proceeded with the recipe as above.
  • I doubled the recipe, because I was feeding to my whole family--worked out just fine.
  • I bought the Cardini's Caesar and I'm with Kalyn on this one--it's my favorite now.
  • I used bottled lemon juice. I mean, come on. I said easy. Squeezing lemons for a mere teaspoon is not my idea of easy, or fun, so there.
  • I added grated Parmesan cheese to the top too. Yummy!

This recipe was delicious and while my kids were like ahh, not so much, David and I loved it. The dressing was a bit tangy and delicious warm. We'll have it again for sure!