Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Do You Know the Angel Within?

I am currently reading the book Finding the Angel Within by Pamela Hansen. It says it's a book about spirituality, body image and self-worth. I picked it up because I constantly struggle with being kind to myself and while I know that Heavenly Father loves me, sometimes I don't believe it.

Are you intimate friends with the angel within? Or do you get along better with your inner demon? I think I know my Angel. We've hung out together a few times. I like her--in fact, I like her a lot. But she's one of those people that's too good for me and really doesn't get how hard it is for me to be good.

However, my inner Demon is kind of like my best friend, though I have a love/hate relationship with her. I know she isn't good for me. I don't really like her very much--she's a bad influence on me and all that. I know that. But she's comfortable, like an old pair of jeans. When in doubt--Demon-girl is my friend.

Truman Madsen said, "The Lord gives us glimpses of ourselves. And in self-examination we are most blessed when we see ourselves as we are seen by him and know ourselves as we are known by him, then, knowledge of the Savior and self-knowledge increase together. In this world, we do not really grasp who we are until we know whose we are" ("The Savior, the Sacrament, and Self-Worth," The Arms of His Love [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 2000], 246.)

Who are you? And to whom do you belong? Are you better friends with the Angel within, or are you far too familiar with your inner Demon?

I am a Daughter of God. It's time I acted like one.