Thursday, September 04, 2008

The Decision to Homeschool

Sorry I've been MIA. No, Candace, I've not moved yet! IF we move it won't be until the spring/early summer but we're not even sure if it's going to be required of us. There's been some buzz that the IT team will be built here in Utah, rather than in Massachusetts. Fingers crossed!

In the meantime, I've been busy with something else.

I've decided to homeschool the boys this year.

This is not a whim of any sort ... it's been my plan since before they were born. However, their twin dynamic was such that Charlie would never allow himself to excel because he wouldn't even try--not if Xander had already tried and already succeeded. Xan is one of those brothers everyone hates to have; he's an overachiever in every sense of the word.

So I sent the boys to public school for a time so they could have an opportunity to be their own men, to figure out who they were separate from one another.

But then the whisperings came that grew in persistence, telling me that it was now time to bring them home.

I was thrilled to discover a virtual academy that operates like a charter school, (meaning free to me!) and provides the supplies, the curriculum, teacher support and state testing (which I like because I'll have proof that I am not breaking my children.)


We applied to the K12 school, but initially did not make it in via the lottery. However, in June we were notified that the boys did get a spot. I hesitated to mention anything about it here, because honestly, I kept expecting to wake up the next day and change my mind.

But each day only brought a return of peace of mind and an assurance that homeschooling my boys was in fact the right thing for my family. So here we are, two weeks into our K12 school experience and ... I'm still happy with our decision!

In the meantime, I've found that I can't handle very many other (read: none) extra curricular activities. I haven't been blogging or reading my favorite blogs. I haven't been reading anything other than homeschooling books (oh joy!) and I haven't been spending any time with friends. This is not bad, this is just an adjustment. I don't anticipate I will always feel this consumed with my homeschool, this is just a learning period.

But I wanted to apologize for not visiting your blogs and for not writing more often myself. Whatever few brain cells I've got have all been going to this schooling thing. I need to start saving some for my other activities! Wish me luck!