Thursday, March 19, 2009

Thoughtful Thursday ~ Patriotism

Last week my family and I had the opportunity to gather with a whole lot of other like-minded conservatives to listen to Glenn Beck as he unveiled his "9-12 Project".  There were about five hundred people at the gathering in South Jordan where we were, and there were thousands more in similar groups all around the country.
I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn't what I got.

I thought Glenn would tell me stuff, fill my mind with his views. Instead, he encouraged me to discover for myself what I believe. Educate myself. Know myself. 


Glenn suggested that each of us read, if we haven't done so already, The Thousand Year Leap and The Real George Washington. Form a book group, of sorts, and discuss what we learn from these books. Keep abreast of the news and apply the things we have learned from these books to the news of the day.

In six months, Glenn wants to 'meet' again, and see how we have grown and what has been the product of us educating ourselves.

As a Canadian, I am rather excited by this assignment. I am shocked at how quickly it is turning from it's capitalist and conservative roots. I want to better understand what is happening to know what, if anything, I can do to help restore the United States to the strength and beauty it once possessed.

Even though I am not yet officially an American citizen, I want to stand up and be counted among those who love this country and and will fight to retain it's founding principles