Monday, July 02, 2007

About Me

I've been wanting to write a more complete profile like I've seen on some other blogs, but I just can't figure it out. So, this will have to do. I think I'll keep my 'profile' to my adult life, if you're interested in the 'me' before, say 25, just ask!


My name is Sandra, but I go by Ali which is short for my true-name is Alexandra. Got that? How's that for confusing? I've also gone by Alex too just in case you were wondering. It's a long story, one I might share with you one day, but not one for today.
I was a professional Opera Singer before I became pregnant with my twins. I only had a short career but it was headed in the right direction. I am a coloratura soprano, so my repertoire was limited, but special; only a few true coloraturas are performing in the United States at any one time. Since my boys were born, I haven't performed in that kind of large venue and I don't know if I ever will again. Though it is still so much a part of me, still my dream. One day I will sing again ... maybe. For now, I only get to sing at Church. My music is another thing I'll have to tell you more about some time!
For an artistic outlet I turned to photography. I decided it would be a good job for me to do while I had little children at home so ... I did it. I started my own business, which you can check out at www.aworkofheartphotography.com . Right now my business is undergoing a make-over, but you are welcome to come look anyway.
I've enjoyed my photography work, but it still wasn't that deep-feeling thing that I was looking for ... the way I felt when I was on the stage, singing my heart out. And then it came to me ... I had to find a way to share my soul, to 'reach beyond my reaching' as the hymn says.
I had always wanted to write a book, but other then writing poetry and class assignments, I had no reason to think I could write. But the feeling that was encouraging me to write felt like a calling, WAS calling me, and so I began.
Now I'm a writer, a photographer, and still, always, a singer.
And, of course, I am a Mom. Charlie and Xander are my miracle babies ... definitely a story I should tell you some time.
David, my husband, is my rock, my inspiration, my cheerleader. We've been married for fifteen and a half years. We've endured many challenges and trials, but have come out of each of them thanking our Heavenly Father for what we have learned. Even more stories to tell.
I have a great life. I am so blessed. I can honestly say, I live a life of JOY.