Thursday, July 26, 2007

The Funky Chicken and Other Such Silliness

What do you do when you're in a funk? You know the kind I mean; everything is blah; getting up is blah, feeding your kids is blah; going to work is blah; even stuff you normally enjoy is just blah, blah, blah. It's days like that when you really just want to stay in your jammies and pull the covers over your head. "Make the day go away!" you say. Problem is, your day doesn't just go away, you still need to get up, the children simply must be fed and if you intend to pay your bills you must go to work.

So how do you chase the blues away?

Do you do yoga? Do you breathe deeply and allow your negative energy to flow out while you breathe in good, clean energy? Namaste.

Do you go to the gym? Pumping iron that makes your muscles pop while all that yummy good adrenaline and endorphins rush to every part of your body?

What do I do? Well, I become Silly Sunny. Sunny is a nickname my mom gave me when I was a little girl and my hubby calls me it too. It comes from the song "Sunny" by Bonnie M. But I digress. I was going to introduce you to Silly Sunny.

Silly Sunny likes to dance around like a crazy woman. She sings songs in the silliest, wackiest voice she can muster. She sings opera arias in the worst voice you've ever heard. For some reason this drives her wildly insane with laughter. Silly Sunny likes to make up songs with goofy words that make her children roll their eyes. Oh, they might pretend like this is all terribly embarrassing, but the truth is, the LOVE it.

If I can't coax Silly Sunny out of her shell, I'll put on a little Gilbert & Sullivan, particularly "The flowers that bloom in the spring, tra la" from The Mikado. Listening to that silly music always does the trick.

I don't get into these funks too often, but sometimes I still like to bring ol' Silly Sunny out just for kicks. It's good to know though, that she's there for me when I need her. It's no fun being blue and going around like a Glum Bum.

Much better to be Silly Sunny instead!

How 'bout you? What do you do to bring yourself around when you've gone 'round the bend?