Friday, July 20, 2007

It's my Birthday!

Maybe later I'll post a birthday pic ;)

I'm feeling badly for my hubby today because he is not living up to his normal birthday-planning splendor and he's being down on himself. He has no need to feel badly, he's an amazing man and I am quite possibly the luckiest woman in the world because I know how much I am loved.

David has set the bar awfully high for himself. Usually, he puts together a themed birthday for me, complete with decorations, gifts that match the theme and even activities. For instance, he gave me a pirate birthday; at lunch (our traditional family birthday celebration time) he sent me and the boys on a treasure hunt for our own personal treasures. We each found a treasure chest with goodies inside (candy for the boys, presents for me!). I've also enjoyed a Kim Possible birthday where we dressed up as secret agents and played, and an Egyptian Queen birthday which ended with a lovely massage by a servant man who turned out to NOT be a eunuch. The Pharaoh would be shocked.

But family activities, work stress and a visit from an out-of-town friend have conspired against David's best intentions this year. Not to mention I made an almost impossible birthday request - that my office be redecorated (including a new floor!) - with no alternatives. Naughty me ;)

What my husband doesn't seem to be realizing right now (as he's feeling stressed trying to recover the day and feeling like he's let me down) is that I already have the best birthday I could want. I have my three men, who love me and I know it because they tell me every day, not just on my birthday. Even so, each one has taken the time to give me an extra special hug and to tell me they love me and hope my day is a happy one. Just knowing that spoiling me is a priority for my husband is sometimes enough (forget about me saying I don't EVER need it, because I sure do sometimes!) .

Right now I've been banned to my office while party preparations are made in the kitchen. I can hear the boys saying how "Mom should have the purple one" and helping their dad set things up. They are thinking of me. They are serving me. They love me. And oh how I love them. Not just today, but each and every day.

I truly am the luckiest woman in the world!