Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Happy Anniversary

Today is my 16th wedding anniversary.

I love my husband with all my heart and I just want to shout it from the rooftops! Just like a birthday is a day to celebrate a person, an anniversary is a day to celebrate a love and ours is definitely worth celebrating! We wish we were off vacationing somewhere, truly reconnecting, but alas we are home with nothing planned. I couldn't even find a babysitter so we could go out for dinner! So we might go for dinner with the boys and maybe we'll be able to grab a movie on Friday night.

It doesn't really matter because we don't need a dinner out or a movie to remind us of our love for each other. We don't even need an anniversary. We tell each other every day how much we love each other - in fact, we're quite sappy! That's the way we like it though, wouldn't have it any other way.

I've already told you all about how we came to be a couple, so let me tell you a bit about our wedding day. We got married in the Logan Temple in 1991. We chose that temple because, well frankly, all other temples were booked! Well, that and the fact that none of David's family wanted to drive to Manti, our second choice after the Salt Lake Temple. Since I didn't know anyone in Utah, Davids' family was all we had so we went with the popular choice. As it was, it stormed that day so we had very few people at our sealing.

I was alone and dressed myself in the very busy brides' room. A kindly temple worker helped me zip up my dress, but she didn't help me fix my hair or anything and gosh was I sorry later I hadn't tried harder to get a helper! I looked awful in my pictures! I could have asked one of David's sisters or something. I did ask his mom, but I think she misunderstood because she didn't come in. Took me many years of getting to know her to realize she felt so worried about overstepping her bounds and so she wouldn't speak up when she feared she had misunderstood me. Doesn't matter anyway ... David still thought I was beautiful and still went along with marrying me!

Our reception was small but filled with family togetherness. His family did a lovely job decorating - it was so pretty! We had a little program and I even sang a song .... "O My Love Is Like A Red, Red Rose" by Robert Burns for David.

Back home in Nova Scotia we had another reception about a week later. There we had a piper pipe for us and I sang "O My Love" again. My dad, his wife and my Aunt June from Ontario all surprised me by showing up for the reception! That was a big, big deal! (That's like going from Minnesota to Maine or farther just for a party). It was a lovely party, the best!

I ought to have a party now because our love and our marriage mean so much more to me, are so much bigger, even than they were when we first jumped in. A big celebration would be all the more appropriate now.

Here's Andy Stewart singing "Oh My Love" ... Enjoy!