Friday, December 28, 2007

The Secret Heart

by
~ Claire Helmers ~

I wonder sometimes, if you know how much I need your love,
How much I crave a compliment, how much I want a hug.
I wonder if you share my fear of always falling short,
Of thinking I'm the only one with faults and sins and warts.

Do you, like me, put on a face that says your life is swell,
But shake and tremble deep inside that fragile outer shell?
Please don't be fooled by my facade, I've worn it now for years,
But often, just below my smile, my throat is full of tears.

Are you convinced that others here are worthier than you?
They know the gospel, pay their tithes, and shine in Sunday School.
Their kids don't fight, their house is clean, they never raise their voice.
You'd gladly trade your life for theirs, if you just had a choice.

Well, please remember, sister dear, that life's not all it seems.
The lives that other women live are only in your dreams.
They worry, struggle, cry and pray, and never have enough,
Of love from women like yourself, of gentle female stuff.

I need your love like you need mine; I need forgiveness too,
For falling short of my ideals, and wishing I was you.
So if you're like me, tell me so, just tell me to my face.
I need to hear that, oh so much; I need your warm embrace.

Do you like my dress, my hair, my smile, the lesson I just gave?
Well, tell me every Sunday, please; I'd love it if you rave.
You see, I'm not as smart or strong or good as you may think,
Life gets me down; you'd be surprised how low my moods can sink.

Well, who am I? I'm everyone - I'm every woman here.
Who needs a friend, a confidant, a nonjudgmental ear.
Who wants to feel important and know somebody cares.
Who needs to feel she's up to all the burdens that she bares.

So please don't be afraid of me, draw near to me instead.
Pour out your heart and soul to me and get inside my head.
Let's be a whole sisterhood of interlinking hearts.
That's how the Savior planned it, if we each just do our part.
~~
I liked this poem. If you've been reading my blog for very long, you know I've struggled with these very thoughts and feelings - still do - and it has been a real eye-opener for me to hear from you (so many of you) that you feel the same way too. At Women's Conference in the fall, our Stake YW Presidency shared this poem with us. It was their wish that "[our] hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love ..." (Colossians 2:2). Certainly I was uplifted and comforted by the words in this poem, knowing it is oh-so true.

Elder Marvin J. Ashton said "If we could look into each others' hearts and understand the unique challenges each of us face, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance and care."

This is my wish for us as friends, both here and in real life ...