Monday, January 28, 2008

The Testimony of a Prophet

I wasn't going to write about President Hinckley today. What could I say that hasn't already been said by many others, and much better than I could to boot. Yet ... I wanted to share something I experienced last night.

I was up very, very (very) late last night trying to lend some moral support to David who was working on a program for a potential new job. While he was working I watched a special report on the life of President Gordon B. Hinckley, President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, who passed away last night at the age of 97. (Come check out what I wrote about the Prophet's passing at my blog at LDSBlogs.com.)

Toward the end of the show, they played a clip of President Hinckley bearing his testimony. For any of you who might not know, Mormons have a tradition of standing and saying out loud the feelings of their heart about the Church, their Savior and their Heavenly Father. Such testimony bearing can be a powerful and sweet experience for the speaker, but also for the one listening. Sometimes, you can feel a warmth spread through you, a lightness of heart, or a thought come clearly to your mind, when you hear a sincere and heart-felt testimony. That is the Spirit of the Lord witnessing to you of the truth of what you are hearing, and the way you feel (or don't feel it) is unique to every individual.

Well, last night I was feeling a little tense, a little worried, over all the issues facing my family right now. I almost didn't even realize how stressed I was feeling until I heard President Hinckley bearing his testimony. Almost immediately his words penetrated my heart and my mind, my worries dissipated and I was left feeling so warm, loved, and at peace. I felt as though he had given me a gift, a blessing of some sort, and I suppose in a way, he did.

With his powerful testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ as taught in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, President Hinckley's words opened up my heart to the comfort of the Spirit. There truly is something special about the testimony of a prophet; it has the power not only to teach, to convert, but to bless and to heal as well.

I couldn't find the exact clip I heard last night, but this one is equally beautiful. Especially at the end, when he looks directly into the camera and bears his testimony. He was a prophet of the Lord, and the power of his words is unmistakable.

Enjoy, and God bless!