Tuesday, January 01, 2008

2008 ... It's gonna be GREAT!!!

Kind of cliche, I know but ... hey ... it works, right? And it WILL be great!

Like Shanna, I wanted to write down my goals here, for the world to see, so ya'll can be my watchtowers, okay? So, here we go!

  • I will be kind to myself. I will be happy for any progress I make despite my shortcomings.
  • I will lose 25 lbs. by increasing the amount and intensity of my exercise and by recommitting myself to the low-carb lifestyle.
  • I will finish my books and start submitting those suckers!
I really want to focus on two principles I recently read in a talk by David A. Bednar "Clean Hands and a Pure Heart" ...

  1. In his talk, Elder Bednar says “The gospel of Jesus Christ encompasses much more than avoiding, overcoming, and being cleansed from sin and the bad influences in our lives; it also essentially entails doing good, being good, and becoming better"

  2. “We will not attain a state of perfection in this life, but we can and should press forward with faith in Christ along the strait and narrow path and make steady progress toward our eternal destiny. The Lord’s pattern for spiritual development is “line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little” (2 Nephi 28:30) Small, steady, incremental spiritual improvements are the steps the Lord would have us take. Preparing to walk guiltless before God is one of the primary purposes of mortality and the pursuit of a lifetime; it does not result from sporadic spurts of intense spiritual activity.”
While these are spiritual principles, they are also life principles. I will be satisfied with being good and doing better, rather than always expecting perfection from myself. And I will only ask a slow and steady pace of myself, not everything all at once. I can do this! With the Lord's help, I KNOW I can do this.

Rah!